Last Updated on: 11th January 2024, 08:24 pm
Going off to college at Penn State? Or maybe you recently accepted a position at the University. There are many reasons you may consider moving from Philadelphia to State College. Often known as the quintessential college town, living in State College, PA offers world-class educational opportunities, amazing nightlife, and a young, energetic community. When you’re ready to make the journey, trust our expert Philly to State College movers to get you where you need to go.
Table of Contents
What Is Moving to State College Like?
State College, PA, is a home rule municipality in Centre County, the heart of Central Pennsylvania. As its name suggests, State College developed around Penn State, and the University serves as the area’s largest employer and the epicenter of the community. The State College PA population is 40,500, while undergraduate enrollment at Penn State is around 42,000. The campus covers roughly 8,000 acres, and more than 70% of residents living in State College PA are 18-24. Meanwhile, 76% of households are non-families. Most of the jobs in State College PA are connected to the University, and the community is home to plenty of professors and other professionals who work on campus. The median household income is $43,015.
State College PA is a good place to live for young adults seeking a fun college experience or those looking to further their education. You’ll find no shortage of fun things to do in State College, PA, from football tailgates to happening bars and nightclubs. The area is full of natural beauty, and residents can enjoy the great outdoors at Rothrock State Forest or Black Moshannon State Park.
The community is also known for its excellent culinary scene, and you’ll find plenty of amazing restaurants in State College, PA, offering everything from elevated bar food to Korean. The best places to eat in State College, PA, tend to be clustered around East College Ave on the southeast side of the University.
The State College PA real estate market is very competitive but still reasonably priced compared to the national average. The median home price in the municipality is $375,000, and the average rent is $1925. However, incoming freshmen are guaranteed housing and required to live on campus. If you plan on moving to State College PA, as a first-year student, you can find resources and information on student housing on the Penn State website.
View this post on Instagram
Benefits of Moving from Philadelphia to State College
Now that you better understand what living in State College PA is like, you may be wondering how it stacks up against Philly. Moving from Philadelphia, PA, to State College, PA, is a big step, so it helps to see how the two places compare and contrast. Here’s what you should know before moving from Philly to State College PA.
- Cost of living: The Philadelphia vs. State College cost of living is fairly similar. However, they feature different expenses. The overall cost of living in Philly is higher, although State College PA real estate is more expensive. The COLI for Philadelphia is 109.8 (9.8% higher than the national average), while the State College PA cost of living index is only 95.4 (4.6% lower than the national average).
- Crime: Moving from Philly to State College, PA also offers less crime. The Philadelphia crime rate is 5,363 crimes per 100,000 residents compared to 1,690 crimes per 100,000 residents in State College. That makes Philly 131% more dangerous than the rest of the US, while State College is 27% less dangerous than the US overall.
- Home prices: The median home price in State College is $375,000 vs. $245,000 in Philadelphia. So secure affordable housing if you move from Philly, PA, to State College, PA.
- Neighborhoods and diversity: Philadelphia is a larger city offering far more diversity and unique neighborhoods. State College is primarily for young people and features mostly residential blocks and student housing complexes. However, Penn State does attract students from all over the country and even the world, so you will find a range of different cultures represented, but not quite like Philadelphia.
- Weather: State College is in the mountains and at a much higher elevation than Philly, meaning it’s colder and tends to get more snow but less rain. The winter low in State College is 17°F, averaging 44.5 inches of snow per year, compared to 26°F and 13 inches in Philadelphia. However, Philly gets about 47 inches of rain compared to 41 in State College. So pack a parka and snow boots if you move from Philadelphia to State College.
- Things to Do: Philadelphia is a larger city with more history and world-class attractions such as museums, landmarks, and professional sports teams. State College has more of a youthful vibe with plenty of bars and nightclubs, great local restaurants, and college sports.
- Schools and Education: State College is obviously home to Penn State, which ranks within the top 6% of universities in the world. The State College Area School District is also highly respected, with several elementary schools that rank among the best in the state. However, Philadelphia also has several highly respected colleges, including UPenn, Temple, and Drexel. Although Philly public schools tend to be a mixed bag in terms of quality.
- Public Transportation: Philly tends to experience more traffic congestion. However, it does have the SEPTA System, an extensive network of trains, subways, trollies, and buses. State College is served by the Centre Area Transit Authority (CATA) bus service, although it tends to be a more car-centric community.
- Sports: Philadelphia is home to several pro sports teams, including the Phillies in the MLB, the Eagles in the NFL, and the 76ers in the NBA. However, State College is home to the Penn State Nittany Lions.
View this post on Instagram
Philadelphia to State College Movers
When you’re ready to move from Philly to Penn State, you’ll need to find the top moving companies in State College to help you get there. Relocating from state college PA to Philadelphia is no easy task, and you’ll need the assistance of a reliable team of professionals.
The best Philadelphia to State College movers provide countless benefits that will simplify the journey. A dedicated moving coordinator will handle the entire process, directing the team and ensuring everything runs smoothly. Boxes and moving supplies can be provided, and our crew of seasoned Philadelphia long-distance movers can even assist with the packing. The crew will protect your home while loading and unloading the truck and make sure everything ends up in its proper place. We will provide secure transportation from Philadelphia to State College and offer storage services before or after the journey. We can even help with assembling or disassembling furniture and other large items.
Hiring experienced Philadelphia long-distance movers will make your travels smoother. You can rest assured that experienced professionals will guide you throughout your journey. When you’re busy getting ready to send your child off to school or start a new job at the University, the last thing you want to stress about is the relocation. Hiring experienced Philadelphia long distance moving companies will reduce that burden so you can focus on the journey ahead.
Why Suburban Solutions is Your Best State College to Philadelphia Moving Company
Before you hire any State College long-distance moving companies, it’s important to verify their credentials. A trustworthy crew will make your journey smooth sailing, while a team of amateurs will only create more stress. Here are a few tips for choosing the best Philadelphia-to-state college movers.
- Carefully review any reviews on Google and Yelp.
- Visit their home page to look for any key statistics like claims rate and how long they’ve been in business.
- Find out how many moves they’ve performed from Philadelphia to Penn State University.
- Look for any mention of specialized equipment or commercial moving trucks.
- Is their customer service team friendly and attentive to your needs?
- Are they properly licensed and insured?
- Do they offer all the services you require?
- Are your needs fully met?
At Suburban Solutions, we are the top Penn State moving company with over nine years of experience helping clients move from Philadelphia to State College. We have all the experience and professional equipment needed to handle your long-distance relocation, including brand-new commercial moving trucks with a suite of tools, dollies, straps, moving blankets, and state-of-the-art GPS.
The best Philadelphia to State College movers receive specialized training on handling college dorms and student housing moves, and we offer a range of services you may need, such as storage and packing. Plus, we have a great reputation in the industry with hundreds of 5-star reviews on Google and a claims rate of less than 1%. So when you need the best Philadelphia to State College moving company, you know who to call.
View this post on Instagram
Philadelphia to State College Moving Cost
You’re likely wondering how much moving from Philadelphia PA to State College PA will cost. The answer is it depends on a few different factors. Here are a few things to consider when estimating the cost of hiring a Philadelphia to State College long-distance moving company.
- The distance between your starting point and the final destination
- The weight and volume of your belongings
- The timing of your relocation (dates, times, holidays, etc.)
- Whether you need additional services such as packing or storage
Contact our friendly and courteous customer service team for a free quote on what it will cost to book our Philadelphia to State College movers. We will assess your requirements and belongings and provide a free written estimate. But no matter the parameters, you can rest assured it will be affordable.
Philadelphia to State College Distances and Travel Information
While our State College long-distance movers are transporting your belongings, you’ll need to find a way to make your way from Philly. Here are a few options:
- Driving: Penn State is 193 miles or a 3-hour and 20-minute drive from Philadelphia. I-76 will take you most of the way there. On the way, you can stop by Hersheypark in Hershey or the National Civil War Museum in Harrisburg.
- Flying: You can also fly from the Philadelphia International Airport (PHL) to University Park Airport (SCE), which takes about an hour. Ticket prices start around $400 from large airlines like American and United.
- Bus: State College does not have an Amtrak Station, but you can take the bus via Greyhound, Megabus, or Prime Ourbus, which takes about four to five hours, and ticket prices start around $50.
When you’re ready to leave the big city for this vibrant college town, Suburban Solutions has you covered. Trust our reliable Philadelphia intrastate movers to make your relocation simple and efficient. Call (610) 314-6868 today for a free, customized moving quote!