The city of Washington, DC is the capital of the United States and offers a historic place to live. It is commonly referred to as “The District” or simply as “DC” and is home to politicians, government officials, and many other local residents.
Washington, DC is known for being home to a large number of National Landmarks, historic museums, government buildings, and the popular National Mall.
Are you thinking about moving to Washington, DC? People from all walks of life may relocate to this community for a variety of reasons including starting a new career or simply to get a change of scenery. Others may want to live in a place where they can make a difference for their country or could move there due to a health condition.
Regardless of the reasons that bring you to this city, you’ll want to understand the Washington, DC moving costs before making the change. Many factors will impact the price you’ll pay such as the area you’re moving to, how many items you own, and the local relocation rates.
This guide will go over all the moving costs in Washington, DC and help you determine the amount you can expect to pay for your transition.
Table of Contents
Factors That Affect Your Moving Costs in Washington, DC
As movers get details about your upcoming transfer, they will be able to offer you a Washington, DC moving costs quote that is accurate and fair. Most companies that help with relocations will base your price on a local average hourly moving rate.
Some of the key details that will help them provide you with a clear estimate include:
- Volume of your belongings: However many items you have will be a major part of what you pay for your move.
- Packing: The added service of packing will be another charge on top of your standard moving costs in Washington, DC.
- Moving supplies: While you can expect your moving company to bring their own materials and equipment, these will be factored into your pricing.
- Location access: The ease of access to your garage and front door will play a role in the amount you are charged for the service.
- Stairs: Your Washington, DC moving quote will likely be a bit higher if your location has multiple levels or requires the movers to go up and down your stairs.
- Furniture assembly/disassembly: The additional time it takes to break down and reassemble your furniture will require that the time and labor costs are added to the bill.
- Traveling distance: Your new location, as well as the time and distance for traveling there, will be a key aspect of the costs of moving in Washington, DC.
- Special assistance: There are a handful of specialty services that can affect your moving rate including transporting a piano, handling fragile antiques, extra equipment needs, etc.
Full-Service Movers vs. DIY Moving in Washington, DC
Your entire transition process can be simple and stress-free when you hire trustworthy Washington, DC movers instead of trying to do it all yourself. They offer numerous benefits starting with their years of experience and the industry expertise they bring to the table.
Among their many objectives, a trusted relocation company will be determined to save you time while also keeping your Washington, DC moving costs down.
As they offer premier solutions, the right crew will provide you with packing services and will supply all of the materials needed for the job. They’ll even bring their own equipment and specialized moving trucks to ensure your furniture is protected during delivery.
In the end, helpful DC movers will make sure you avoid injury and save your back from doing all the heavy lifting alone.
Average Moving Costs in Washington, DC
How much do movers cost in Washington, DC? You can get a clear and budget-friendly moving quote that is within your price range.
There are a variety of considerations that will go into Washington, DC moving estimates to ensure the pricing is fair and fitting to the specifics. Using local hourly moving rates, a team will calculate your price based on the size of your home or apartment as well as the number of movers that will be needed for the project.
As these factors are taken into account, the moving costs in Washington, DC will typically be added up with the amount of time the job takes to complete.
Cost to Move a 1 Bedroom Apartment in Washington, DC
For a one-bedroom apartment, the project will generally take about two movers and between 3-6 hours of labor. A local moving company can provide you with a clear Washington, DC relocation estimate that combines the anticipated time and number of bodies that will be needed.
Cost to Move a 2 Bedroom Apartment in Washington, DC
The procedure involved with moving a two-bedroom apartment tends to take somewhere from 3 to 6 hours of work and about three movers. You can put together the final price as you multiply the amount of time it takes to complete the relocation with the hourly moving rates in Washington, DC.
Cost to Move a Home in Washington, DC
The size of your house will be one of the main details that impact your Washington, DC moving costs. On average, home relocations will take three or more moving professionals and about 4 to 7 hours of work time. If you have a property that is larger, it is possible that the job will need more time and bodies to accomplish the task.
Washington DC moving cost calculator – A handful of factors will affect the cost of movers in Washington, DC including how far away the new location is, the number of belongings you have, and the square footage of your home. If you’re planning on a long-distance transition, that will usually come with a binding Washington, DC moving quote.
Tips to Make Your Washington, DC Relocation More Affordable
Are you wondering how to reduce your cost of moving in Washington, DC? There are multiple steps you can take to lower your relocation estimate and spend less on your transition process overall.
- Get rid of junk: Take the time to throw out your trash and other junk so your movers don’t have to spend their time doing it for you.
- Pack your own belongings: While it can take some time to do it on your own, getting packed ahead of time will save you money that will otherwise be spent on your moving costs.
- Break down furniture: Along with packing, if you can disassemble your furniture beforehand means the moving company can simply grab it and load it onto their trucks.
- Check with HOA/Landlord: Double-check with your property manager to verify that they don’t have any rules or regulations regarding relocations in your community.
- Provide clear instructions: Make a plan that you can follow once the movers get there to streamline the process and get it all done faster.
- Offer drinks and snacks: Moving companies love customers who provide snacks and drinks for them, leading the movers to work more efficiently from beginning to end.
How To Choose a Washington, DC Moving Company
Making the choice between reputable moving companies in the area can be a quick and simple process when you know what to look for. You’ll see the benefits of following a handful of steps as you search through your options, while also finding one that offers affordable Washington, DC moving costs.
- Check Google and Yelp online moving company reviews
- Review their claims rate percentage
- Determine how many years they’ve been in business
- Find out how many moves they have handled
- Confirm they’re a licensed and insured moving company
- Verify that they offer the specific services you need
- See if they have the equipment that will be required
After more than 10 years in business, Suburban Solutions has experienced movers who are ready to take on whatever project that you throw at us. Our teams have completed over 5,000 relocations and consistently maintain a 1% claims rate to give you added peace of mind. Our 98% customer referral rate is evident in the hundreds of reviews we’ve received over the years across Google and Yelp.
Additional Washington, DC Moving Tips
How much should you tip movers in Washington, DC?
A good industry standard to follow when offering a tip to your movers is to give each team member $25 (minimum) or simply split 18-20% of the total Washington moving costs between them.
Ultimate Washington, DC Moving Checklist
Review our Ultimate Washington, DC Moving Checklist to fully prepare yourself for the pending transition and make sure you follow the steps needed for a successful move.
Washington, DC Utilities & Cost of Living
If you’d like to learn more about the cost of living in Washington, DC and what to expect from your home utilities, make sure to check out this complete guide.
Get an Affordable Moving Quote in Washington, DC
Once you’ve determined what your moving costs in Washington, DC will look like, it’s time to decide which team to hire for the job. Among the most affordable moving companies in town, count on Suburban Solutions to provide you with the best experience around! Give us a call today at (301) 928-8669 or complete the Request a Quote form for a free moving estimate!