Known for the Liberty Bell, Philadelphia is a wonderful place to retire. The top 55+ communities in Philadelphia allow you to relax among your peers as you enjoy your active retirement and golden years. Whether you are searching for a place for yourself or a loved one, the following communities are some of the best senior living communities in Philly.
What Is a 55+ Community?
55 and older communities are entirely different from assisted living or nursing homes. While some 55+ communities offer add-on services like assisted living, this is never the focus of an active retirement community in Philadelphia.
In essence, a senior living community is designed for people who are 55 years old or older. The goal is to make a community away from the noise of children and younger residents. Because these communities are designed for the 55+ crowd, they also target their amenities toward people who are in their golden years.
Benefits of Living in a 55+ Community
When you live in the most beautiful Philadelphia retirement communities, you get to avoid the hassle and noise of living around young people. Instead, you get to build close friendships with like-minded, active seniors like yourself. Because of the environment, it’s easy to make friends and enjoy planned activities together.
At the most luxurious 55+ communities in Philadelphia, you can get rid of the everyday hassles of life. The more luxurious communities will even handle chores, like cooking and cleaning, so you don’t have to. Many of the best Philadelphia over 55 communities offer resort-style amenities and concierge services.
If you love staying active, the most popular Philadelphia gated retirement communities are the place to go. These communities include daily planned activities and social events. You can enjoy yoga, art classes, Wii bowling leagues, gardening clubs, dance classes, and other activities in the best communities.
9 Best 55+ Senior Living Communities in Philadelphia
1. The Watermark at Logan Square – Comfortable Living for Seniors in Philly
Known as one of the best 55+ communities in Philadelphia, this active community offers independent living units. As you age, you will be able to remain in this top Philadelphia senior adult community because they also provide personal care, rehabilitation support, nursing services, and memory care services if you need them.
When you move into the community, you can pick from studio, one-bedroom, and two-bedroom apartments. Each unit includes a large living room and a full kitchen. Plus, you can check out classes, social events, and outings.
- Address: 2 Franklin Town Blvd, Philadelphia, PA 19103
- Website: https://logansquare.watermarkcommunities.com/
- Phone: (215) 240-8915
- Amenities: Creative arts studio, wellness and fitness center, spa and salon, club room with cocktail bar and library, computer center.
2. The Hill at Whitemarsh – Popular 55+ Community in Philadelphia
Another one of the most popular Philadelphia active adult communities is the Hill at Whitemarsh. Designed for active adults, this retirement community is designed to be a resort-style property, so it feels like you’re on vacation all the time. Situated within a 96-acre, country-like setting, the rental units are offered with beautiful terraces.
- Address: 4000 Fox Hound Dr, Lafayette Hill, PA 19444
- Website: https://www.thehillatwhitemarsh.org/
- Phone: (215) 402-8500
- Amenities: Clubhouse with billiards table and cafe, swimming pool, skilled nursing services, fitness center, personal training, group activities.
3. Beaumont at Bryn Mawr – Top-rated Senior Living Community
As one of the most luxurious 55 and older communities in Philadelphia, Beaumont at Bryn Mawr allows you to live in traditional apartments or comfortable villas. While you own your home, you don’t have to do any of the maintenance work on it. The traditional apartments are offered in one-bedroom and two-bedroom layouts, but the stately villas have 3,336 to 3,940 square feet of living space.
The all-inclusive policy at Beaumont at Bryn Mawr means you get everything the retirement community offers for a set monthly fee. In total, there are nine dining rooms with table-side service and white linen tablecloths. Plus, don’t forget to check out the property’s many recreational options.
- Address: 601 N Ithan Ave, Bryn Mawr, PA 19010
- Website: https://beaumontretirement.com/
- Phone: (610) 526-7000
- Amenities: Simulcast concerts of orchestra performances, woodshop, library, art studio, cinema with theater seating, the Beaumont Speaker series, socials, and themed parties.
4. Simpson House – Philadelphia Independent Living
Unlike some of the most popular over 55 communities in Philadelphia, Simpson House operates as a non-profit. It has been serving retirees for more than 150 years. Because of its continuum of care, you can transition from the large independent living area to the memory care, inpatient, and outpatient services as your needs change.
- Address: 2101 Belmont Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19131
- Website: https://www.simpsonhouse.org/
- Phone: (215) 878-3600
- Amenities: Regular shopping trips, wellness programs, creative writing classes, bi-weekly housekeeping services, 24-hour security staff, all utilities included, scheduled transportation.
5. Hayes Manor – Nice Amenities for People 55+
As one of the best 55+ communities in Philadelphia, Hayes Manor offers a convenient location within minutes of the Main Line. At Hayes Manor, you can enjoy having excellent health care, meals, activities, and housekeeping. Created in 1886, this complex includes 12 independent living apartments and 53 personal care rooms.
- Address: 2210 Belmont Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19131
- Website: https://hayesmanor.org/
- Phone: (215) 473-1552
- Amenities: Financial support for low-income residents, 24-hour security, Beautician/barber weekly, meals served in the Terrace dining room, weekly shopping trips, location next to Bala Country Club.
6. Atria Center City – Beautiful Philly Senior Living
Atria Center City is one of the most luxurious retirement communities in Philadelphia, and it has the prices to show for it. If money is no object, you can live a life of leisure in the artistic and cultural heart of the city. Atria Center City offers independent living and memory care units with no buy-in fees.
View this post on Instagram
- Address: 150 N 20th St, Philadelphia, PA 19103
- Website: https://www.atriaseniorliving.com/retirement-communities/atria-center-city-philadelphia-pa/
- Phone: (267) 940-6102
- Amenities: 24-hour staff, housekeeping services, utilities included, emergency alert system, chef-prepared meals, scheduled transportation, busy events calendar.
7. Cathedral Village – Local 55+ Independent Senior Living in Philadelphia
As one of the most beautiful active adult communities in Philadelphia, Cathedral Village is surrounded by gardens, greenhouses, and wooded areas. This active community offers residents studio, one-bedroom, and two-bedroom apartments with balconies or patios. Each pet-friendly unit can be equipped with add-on services, like personal errands, concierge services, transportation, personal laundry, and homemaker services.
- Address: 600 E Cathedral Rd, Philadelphia, PA 19128
- Website: https://www.presbyterianseniorliving.org/cathedral-village
- Phone: (215) 487-1300
- Amenities: Barber and beauty salons, guest accommodation, aquatic and fitness center, clay and fine arts studio, greenhouse.
8. Gloria Dei Estates – Philadelphia Senior Living
If you are looking for a Philadelphia active retirement community, Gloria Dei Estates currently runs eight different communities in the state. The Estates is located in North Philadelphia. Once you rent a unit in this active community, you can enjoy playing in the game room, working out in the wellness center, and socializing at organized events.
- Address: 1304 Rhawn St, Philadelphia, PA 19111
- Website: http://www.gloriadeicommunities.com/community/theestates/
- Phone: (215) 728-0300
- Amenities: Beauty salon and barbershop, woodshop, movie theater, laundry facilities on every floor, fitness room, resident’s vegetable garden.
9. Deer Meadows Retirement Community – Pleasant 55+ Living in Philly
This popular senior adult community in Philadelphia is an active community for independent adults. You can rent one of the one-bedroom or two-bedroom luxury suites at the property. In addition to a rehabilitation program, Deer Meadows Retirement Community offers home health programs and a continuum of care.
- Address: 8301 Roosevelt Blvd, Philadelphia, PA 19152
- Website: https://www.deer-meadows.org/independent-living
- Phone: (215) 624-7575
- Amenities: Restaurant-style menus in a private dining room, exercise sessions, wellness center, health care services.
Map of the Best 55+ Communities in Philadelphia, PA
Discover the Best Community for You
To find the best 55+ communities in Philadelphia, you have to consider your personal needs. Do you plan on buying or renting your home? Will the location work for you?
Once you know where you want to live, you can see if there is a complex available in your price range. If you find multiple retirement communities, you can always compare them based on their amenities and the kind of ambiance they offer. By researching each community, you can eventually find the right home for you.
Need help with an upcoming relocation to or from Philadelphia? Get in touch with the top-rated Philadelphia movers at Suburban Solutions by calling (610) 314-6868! Or complete the Request a Quote form at the top of this page to get a free moving estimate!