Are you planning on moving from Philadelphia to NYC? Whether your move is prompted by changes in your household, you’re moving for a job, or you just crave the excitement of New York, you’ve probably got a lot on your plate. A long-distance move can be as frightening as it is exciting, and it can definitely be a stressful experience without the right help on your side. Our Philadelphia to NYC moving company is here to help you enjoy a smooth transition without the hassle so you can look forward to everything New York has to offer.
Table of Contents
What Moving to NYC Is Like
As you consider hiring Philadelphia to NYC movers, you’re probably wondering exactly what living in New York City will be like. NYC and Philly have a lot in common, including similar vibes, excellent food, and rich history. In some ways, you’ll find New York City is similar to Philadelphia – just so much more!
The population of New York is 8.336 million over more than 300 square miles. It’s the largest U.S. city and the most densely populated with 27,755 people per square mile! The NYC metro area is even larger with a population of 19.9 million. With such a dense population and some of the world’s most visited tourist attractions, it’s easy to see why people move to NYC!
Unlike Philadelphia, which has a 53% homeownership rate and a median home price of $249,000, you will most likely rent after moving to NYC. The median sales price for a condo in New York City recently hit a low of $665,000 – but that’s still far above Philly prices. You can expect average rent in NYC of $3,039, down 15% between 2019 and 2020, according to RentJungle. The cost of living in the Big Apple is probably one of the biggest adjustments you’ll need to make after relocating from Philadelphia.
Benefits of Moving from Philadelphia to NYC
While thousands of New Yorkers migrated to Philadelphia in 2020, there has also been a strong reverse trend of Philly residents moving to NYC. Here are just some of the best reasons for moving from Philadelphia to NYC:
- A pro of living in NYC is the big-city feel. Enjoy a more condensed urban environment with shopping, dining, and attractions all just a walk or subway stop away
- When you compare Philadelphia vs NYC, you’ll find it much easier to live without a car in NYC. In fact, NYC’s public transit is considered the best in America! Here’s a NYC subway guide to help you get started ahead of your move.
- If public transit isn’t enough, New York City is incredibly walkable. You can enjoy a night out in most NYC boroughs completely on foot.
- Job opportunities can be better in New York City versus Philadelphia, especially in certain fields like professional services, finance, and marketing.
Of course, moving to New York City does come with some adjustments. The cost of living in NYC versus Philadelphia is much higher: you’ll need $8,035 in New York for the same standard of living you get with $5,100 in Philadelphia, according to Numbeo. The trade-off? The unique lifestyle you’ll enjoy in New York which is like nowhere else on earth. New Yorkers are open and friendly while the city offers incredible diversity with seemingly hundreds of small cities within the city. Around every corner is something new to see and do!
Philadelphia to NYC Movers
Want to skip the stress, hassle, and back-breaking physical labor of moving? Working with experienced Philadelphia to New York movers can give you the peace of mind you need ahead of your long-distance move. You can get help with virtually every aspect of your move from packing and loading/unloading to prep work and even unpacking. You can even take care of the tasks you want to handle to get the services you need within your budget.
Many Philly residents turn to a professional long-distance Philadelphia to NYC moving company to not only save stress and hassle but also benefit from the expertise and the right tools. You benefit from a team of professionals who can:
- Efficiently and safely pack your entire home (or certain areas) so you can rest easy knowing your belongings will survive the trip
- Save you time by packing, loading, and unloading in a fraction of the time with an efficient system in place
- Spare you from all the heavy lifting. While moving from Philadelphia to NYC, you’ll especially appreciate this perk when you consider walk-up apartments, tiny elevators, and cramped hallways!
- Use years of training and expertise to remove the guesswork and make sure your belongings are protected
- Ensure a safe, easy move. A large moving truck is tricky and even dangerous to drive without experience – especially in New York!
Why Suburban Solutions Is Your Best Philadelphia to NYC Moving Company
When you make the decision to work with professional movers for relocating from Philadelphia to NYC, it’s important to choose movers you can trust. Beware of movers who promise rates that seem too good to be true, have credentials that can’t be verified, or seem to have limited presence and history in the area.
To choose the best long-distance moving company, we recommend:
- Only working with licensed, insured moving companies for your protection
- Checking Yelp and Google moving company reviews
- Looking for a low claims rate and high safety rating
- Experience with Philadelphia to NYC moves
- Proven track record in the industry with a large number of moves performed each year
Suburban Solutions is proud to be one of the best long-distance moving companies in the Northeast. We have served Philadelphia residents for more than 10 years and take pride in our 5-star reviews. Our team of 80 background checked, trained drivers and movers look forward to assisting with your Philadelphia to NYC move and delivering top-notch customer service!
Philadelphia to NYC Moving Cost
How much does it cost to move from Philadelphia to NYC with movers? It’s more affordable than you may think! While an accurate Philly to NYC moving estimate is impossible without knowing the details of your move, it may help to know the factors that are considered:
- Weight or volume of your belongings
- Your move-in and move-out dates. Weekends and peak season moves tend to cost more.
- Level of service you need such as packing/unpacking and appliance disconnect/reconnect.
- Whether you need storage at your origin or destination
The best way to find out your cost is by contacting Suburban Solutions for a Philadelphia to NYC moving estimate. We offer accurate in-home and virtual estimates to help you get started!
Philadelphia to NYC Distance & Travel Information
Once your belongings are packed and loaded on a moving truck and on their way to your new home, how will you travel from Philly to NYC? The distance from Philadelphia to New York City is just 94 miles or 1 hour, 45 minutes. There are plenty of ways to make the trip, even if you don’t have a car.
The most common way to get to NYC from Philadelphia is driving. Just take I-95 North then I-78 E to the Holland Tunnel.
Some people even fly from Philly to New York. However, this option actually takes much longer than driving: nonstop flights from Philadelphia (PHL) to New York (JFK) take an average of 5 hours.
If you aren’t moving with a car to New York City, consider taking a train instead. Amtrak offers affordable train fares from Philadelphia to New York City. The Amtrak Acela is the fastest train and takes an average of 70 minutes with just one stop between the two cities. The Acela train leaves from the 30th Street Station in Philadelphia and arrives at Penn Station in NYC near the Empire State Building.
Ready for life in New York? With Suburban Solutions on your side, your Philadelphia to NYC move can be faster, safer, and easier than you dreamed possible! Get started with a free estimate today by calling our friendly Philadelphia movers.