ADVICE, TIPS AND DOWNLOADS TO HELP YOU ORGANIZE YOUR MOVE
3 – 4 weeks before your move:
- Select moving companies to obtain quotes from and book ASAP!
- Create detailed home inventory list of items you want to move
- Start packing all items you will not actively use (books, out of season clothes, secondary china set)
- Start sorting thru junk and donation items
- Separate Valuables (jewelry, private documents) for personal transport on moving day
- Change your address w/ post office and update subscriptions etc
2 Weeks Prior to Move:
- Cancel / Transfer Utilities
- Begin to pack everyday items (pack 3 to 5 boxes per day per floor to spread things out!)
- Be sure to distinctly label all boxes with the room to which they will be dropped off
- Confirm any overnight travel plans if applicable
- Set up childcare for moving day
- Set up junk removal or donate unwanted furniture or clothes (We can do this for you!!)
- Please make sure the mover is aware of your plans to move the following items: waterbeds, pendulum clocks, pianos, pool tables, sewing machines as they may require special packing
12-24 hours before your move:
- Move all items in the attic, crawl space, or temporary storage to an accessible area for the crew leader
- If moving appliances, they must be disconnected, cleaned, and serviced prior to moving
- Machinery (lawn mowers, snow blowers, etc) must be drained of all fuel / oil Drivers cannot transport gasoline.
- Ensure all boxes are packed and sealed properly. Remove all contents from all dressers
- Due to restrictions in place by various state laws, we are unable to transport live plants during interstate moves. Please make alternative arrangements for transportation of live plants
- Trash cans and Barbecue grills must be washed out and thoroughly cleaned before the move
The day of your move:
- Walkways and Driveways must be clear of snow, ice, or other hazards.
- Children and pets must be kept in a safe and secure area while crews are packing/loading
- Bring important papers and insurance forms with you during the move
- Place any items not intended for transport in a safe area and be sure to indicate them to your crew leader
- Please remove sheets and blankets from beds to expedite the moving process.
NOTE: We are unable to remove any permanently affixed item such as carpeting, plumbing or electrical fixtures, etc.
LIST OF ITEMS NOT TO PACK
- Aerosol Cans
- Car Batteries
- Charcoal/Lighter Fluid
- Chemistry Sets
- Cleaning Solvents
- Darkroom Chemicals
- Household Batteries
- Liquid Bleach
- Paint Thinners
- Pool Chemicals
- Propane Tanks
- Sterno Fuel
- Weed Killer
- Food Without Adequate Preservation
- Frozen Food
- Open or Half-Used Foods
- Refrigerated Foods
*If you are moving less than 550 miles and your items will be delivered within 24 hours of pickup, agents may agree to transport perishables that are properly packed and require no servicing in transit.
NOTE: You should empty your refrigerators and freezers and keep appliance doors open for at least 24 hours in advance of loading. This will allow appliances to dry out and prevent growth of mold.