Get A Free Moving Quote
  • MM slash DD slash YYYY
  • Hidden
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

drivers license change of address DC

D.C. DMV Change of Address 🚘 | Guide to Your DMV Change of Address

Last Updated on: 2nd April 2024, 03:03 am

Are you moving to Washington D.C.? Maybe you already live there, and you’re just moving across town. Washington D.C. is a great place to live, full of history and culture. Some of the top museums, art galleries, and historical sites in the nation are located there. As the nation’s capital, Washington D.C. is also the hub of the federal government and is home to the Capitol building and the White House. 

There are some things you need to take care of when moving to Washington D.C., such as notifying the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) of your address change. It’s a good idea to take care of this as early as possible, especially if you plan on driving in the nation’s capital or will be applying for jobs. But you might be asking where to start. This guide can help! 

We’ve gathered all the information that you’ll need to complete your Washington D.C. DMV change of address, as well as your vehicle registration forms and other essential paperwork. Follow these steps to make your Washington D.C. DMV change of address easier.

Moving Within Washington D.C. | How to Change Your Address with the Washington D.C. DMV

changing home address dc

Washington D.C. requires that you notify the DMV about your change in address in DC within 60 calendar days of your move. Be aware that in Washington D.C you cannot list a temporary address or a PO Box as your residence. 

Changing your address can either be done online, by mail, or in person. However, if you don’t have a REAL ID (driver’s license) or a Limited Purpose credential (a driver’s license for Washington D.C. residents do not have a Social Security number), you will have to change your address in person at a D.C. DMV office.

Here are your options to apply for a Washington D.C. DMV change of address:


If you currently have a REAL ID or a Limited Purpose credential, you are eligible to apply for a DC change of address online. Upload the required residency documents and submit your DC DMV change of address documents. The Washington D.C. DMV will notify you via email whether or not your DC change of address request has been approved. If your request is approved, you will be directed to the link to pay the DC change of address fee of $20

The DMV will update your D.C. driver’s license with your new address. They will also update any corresponding vehicle registration. If you hold a non-driver identification card (you are at least 15 years of age and do not hold a valid driver’s license in D.C. or another state), you will be issued a non-driver identification card with your new address. 

Documents you will need to apply for an address change online:

  • Your driver’s license number
  • Your social security number
  • Your date of birth
  • Your email address
  • A proof of residency (to upload to the portal)
  • A credit card to pay the $20 fee

By Mail

If you currently have a REAL ID or a Limited Purpose credential, you are eligible to change your address by mail. You will need to mail two proof of residency documents. Some of the documents you can choose from include:

  • Utility bill (water, gas, electric, oil, or cable), with your name and address, issued within the last 60 days (disconnect notices/bills are not accepted).
  • Telephone bill (cell phone, wireless, or pager bills acceptable), with your name and current address, issued within the last 60 days (disconnect notices/bills are not accepted).
  • Deed, mortgage, or settlement agreement, with your name and property address, issued within the last 60 days.
  • DC property tax bill or tax assessment issued within the last 12 months with your name and property address.
  • Car/personal loan statement (no coupon books/vouchers accepted) issued within the last 60 days that includes your name and address.
  • Letter on an official letterhead issued by a Washington D.C. university or college you’re your name and on-campus address issued within the last 60 days.

You can see the full Proof of Current District of Columbia Residency list here

Along with your proof of residency documents, you must mail a completed D.C. DMV driver application form, and the $20 fee to:


Attn: Change of Address

PO Box 90120

Washington, DC 20090

Your DC DMV change of address documents and application by mail will be processed within 7–10 business days from receipt. You should receive your updated driver’s license within 15 business days. If you haven’t received it by then, contact the D.C. DMV. 

In Person

If you have a REAL ID or Limited Purpose credential, you can bring your two proof of residency documents, completed driver application form, and $20 fee payment to any one of the D.C. DMV service center locations

To apply for a REAL ID, you must also bring:

To apply for a Limited Purpose credential (driver’s license or non-driver ID card), you must bring:

Your D.C. change of address will be applied to your vehicle registration and your driver’s license at the same time. Note that if you fail to update your address with the D.C. DMV, you may not receive inspection, license, and vehicle registration renewals, as well as ticket notices, license suspensions/revocations, and other important D.C. DMV documents. You also may experience inconveniences and might have to pay fees.

Moving From Another State to Washington D.C. | How to Change Your Address with The Washington D.C. DMV

If you are moving to Washington D.C. from another state, changing your address in person is your only option. You will need:

Driver’s License

dmv dc

To convert from an out-of-state driver’s license to a Washington D.C. license, you’ll have to visit the nearest D.C. DMV service center location. Here is what you will need to do:

As a new Washington D.C. resident, you must also register your car within 60 days of moving in person at a D.C. DMV office. Here’s what you will need:

  • A valid D.C. driver’s license 
  • D.C. vehicle insurance
  • A vehicle inspection certificate 
  • A vehicle title
  • Proof of vehicle ownership (a bill of sale, signed vehicle title, or manufacturer’s certificate of origin)
  • Proof of D.C. residency
  • Odometer mileage
  • Vehicle financial agreement or contract

After you have completed your change of address in Washington DC, and updated your driver’s license and registration, you’ll want to make sure other agencies have your new address. Here are some of the agencies you’ll want to contact with your new address: 

Post Office

Do you need to go to the post office for change of address in DC? It’s important to notify the United States Post Office (USPS) of your new address as soon as possible. Delaying this means your mail might not reach you at your new address. You can easily set up mail forward with the USPS online. All you need is your new address and your mail forward start date. The fee for this service is $1.10. The USPS recommends that you submit your request up to 2 weeks before you move. Standard mail forwarding from your old address to your new address lasts for 12 months. 

Tax Agencies

  • IRS – Another important step in your change of address Washington D.C. process is to contact the IRS. If you don’t have the correct address on file with the IRS, they will not be able to send you a tax return or even a stimulus check. Go to the IRS address change page and update your address electronically using Form 8822, Change of Address. Other ways to update your address with the IRs are:
  • Written statement – mail the IRS a signed, written statement with your full name, old and new addresses, and Social Security number to the address where you filed your last return.
  • Oral notification – visit your local IRS office and update your address in person, or call your local IRS office and update your address by telephone. For the IRS to verify your identity and the address they have on file for you, you will need your:
    • full name
    • old and new addresses
    • Social Security number

The IRS might request additional information to verify your identity. 

Additionally, you might want to take a few extra minutes to link your tax return electronically to your bank account, so you can get money from the IRS wired to you instantly.

  • District of Columbia Office of Tax and Revenue – you’ll also want to request a mailing change of address with the D.C. Tax and Revenue office. As with federal taxes, you’ll want to ensure that they have your correct address, so that you can receive your D.C. tax returns. Options to change your address with the D.C. Office of Tax and Revenue are:
  • Online – log into the D.C. tax office website, sign up for a free account if you don’t have one, and use this guide to update your address. 
  • In-Person – you can visit the customer service office at the D.C. Office of Tax and Revenue at the following address to update your change of address in person:

D.C. Office of Tax and Revenue

1101 4th Street SW, Suite W270

Washington DC 20024. 

  • By Phone – you aren’t able to make address changes over the phone, but you can talk to a customer service representative with the DC Office of Tax and Revenue, who can help you file the correct forms. Call 202-724-5045 or 202-727-4829 for assistance.


change of address form

  • Water – when you have your new address, you can start water service with DC Water in the following ways:
  • Email: [email protected]
  • Fax: 202-354-3711
  • Phone: 202-354-3600

Customer service representatives are available Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. 

  • Power – log into to start service. You will need:
  • Your new address where you want to start service
  • The date you’d like service to begin
  • SSN OR driver’s license number, and date of birth
  • Gas – log into Washington Gas to start service. You will need your new address.


  • Voter registration – you can complete you voter registration with the DC Board of Elections change of address form here
  • Social Security – create an account or log in and follow the instructions to change your address with the Social Security Administration.
  • Passport – you do not need to update your passport with your new address.
  • Banks – make sure you contact all your financial institutions and request a change of address with them. 

Are you relocating? There’s a lot to do, including getting your D.C. DMV change of address handled. Let the experienced Washington DC movers at Suburban Solutions handle the heavy lifting for you while you handle the important things! Give us a call at 301-928-8669 for a free quote today.


  • MM slash DD slash YYYY
  • Hidden
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Search For more helpful Resources


Check Out Our Related posts